Can my license be processed in less than thirty days?

  • The only circumstance where a license can be processed within or before 30 days is if the applicant has in place all required sub-Licenses and permits (including the NPC review and NIRB screening), and has provided copies of letters of endorsement from agencies who are to be impacted by or engaged in the research.
  • The agencies consulted during the license application review process are given a minimum of 30 days to review projects sand provide recommendation to the Science Advisor. You have the right to individually contact agencies to secure support letters for your project, but should be aware that most agencies prefer applicants to adhere to the time protocols established by Science Advisor.


Who determines which agencies may have a vested interest in the research project?

  • The NRI Manager, Research Liaison and the Nunavut Science Advisor review each research license application individually and identify the key agencies that will be directly impacted by or engaged in the research proposed, or that have a vested interst in the research outcomes.  These agencies are then consulted during the license application review.


What is the difference between Nunavut Settlement Area and Inuit Owned Lands?

  • The Nunavut Settlement Area refers to the whole area of Nunavut. See Article 3 and Schedule 3-1 of the Nunavut Agreement for a full description.
  • Inuit Owned Lands refer to specific parcels of private lands within the Nunavut Settlement Area to which access requires prior approval Regional Inuit Associations. See Article 19.2.1 of the Nunavut Agreement


What do I do if part of my project is in Nunavut and part is in the western Northwest Territories?

  • The Nunavut Scientists Act applies only to research conducted in the Nunavut Settlement Area.  Research conducted in the Northwest Territories is subject to separate licensing under the NWT Scientists Act administered by the Aurora Research Institute (  You will need permits from both agencies for transboundary research activities.


What if my project is multi-disciplinary?  For example: my research involves collecting benthic invertebrates and documenting traditional knowledge about freshwater ecology.

  • If your project is multi-disciplinary, you will likely require multiple research licenses (e.g. for the example above, a fisheries research license from DFO is required for the invertebrate sampling AND a scientific research license from NRI is needed for the tradiitonal knowledge component).  The Manager of Research Liaison can help to identify a all of the necessary  authorizations you need to undertake your research, but you are responsible for applying for these authorizations.


Can I make changes to my research field locations after I have submitted my research license application and/or have already received my license?

  • If you wish to make changes to field locations for a research application currently under review notify the manager of Research Liaison immediately.  Changes in field locations may require a new review of your project by the Nunavut Planning Commission and/or a new screening by Nunavut Impact Review Board.   
  • If you have identified several candidate locations for fieldwork but have not yet selected the final locations, please include all candidate locations in your research license application even if you don’t anticipate being able to conduct activities at all locations.  It is much easier to remove authorized field locations from your license than it is to add new ones.


Can I make changes to my project after it is Licensed?

  • It is possible to make changes to your license if you submit a written request  for a license amendment.
  • License amendment requests should be directed to the Manager of Research Liaison as soon as possible and should detail exactly what changes are needed to the researchlicense and why. License amendments may require further community consultation and may also require a new review of your project by the Nunavut Planning Commission and/or a new screening by Nunavut Impact Review Board.


What happens if I apply to conduct research in partnership with multiple communities and one or more community is supportive of the project while other are opposed to my research or unwilling to participate?

  • You will receive a license to proceed with research activities in the communities that have expressed support for the project. 


What should I do if I decide after licensing that I must cancel my project?

  • Notify the Manager of Research Liaison immediately if you intend to cancel your project.
  • Please also immediately notify any other local groups and individuals that you have engaged to facilitate your research (translators, interpreters, outfitters, participants, etc.), with whom you have made arrangements, of your project’s cancellation.