Frequently Asked Questions

Can my licence be processed in thirty days?

The only circumstance where a licence can be processed within or before 30 days is if the applicant has in place all required sub-licences and permits, and has provided copies of letters of endorsement from all agencies who may have a vested interest in the research being undertaken.

The Nunavut Research Institute (NRI) extends a minimum of 30 days to agencies to review projects. Applicants have the right to individually contact agencies regarding licence endorsements, but should be aware that most agencies prefer applicants to adhere to the time protocols established by NRI.

Who determines which agencies may have a vested interest in the research project?

The NRI Manager, Research Liaison is responsible for an initial review of each project application to determine which agencies should be consulted for review.

What is the difference between Nunavut Settlement Area and Inuit Owned Lands?

Nunavut Settlement Area refers to the whole area of Nunavut. See Article 3 and Schedule 3-1 of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement for a full description. Inuit Owned Lands refer to specific parcels of lands within the Nunavut Settlement Area. See Article 19.2.1 of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement for a full description.

What do I do if part of my project is in Nunavut and part is in the western Northwest Territories?

The two territories have separate licensing processes for work within the two territories. You need to apply to both agencies.

What if my project is multi-disciplined?

For example: involves archeology and anthropology, or involves wildlife and traditional knowledge.

If your project is multi-disciplinary, ensure you contact all licensing and permitting authorities with potential interest, to ensure you are not in violation of any Nunavut legislated act or regulation.

NRI has developed a good working relationship with other licensing and permitting bodies and will endeavour to ensure your application is smoothly processed.

Should I take advantage of reduced airfares and book my plane ticket even if I don't have my research licence yet?

To do so is at your own risk.

You are not permitted to commence with data collection until a licence is issued. Please be aware that NRI will not assume responsibility for any cost incurred by the applicant in the event that a licence is issued after proposed field dates or in the event a licence application is rejected.

Can I make last minute changes to my proposed field site locations?

Any changes in field locations must be reported to the nearest community and have approval from that community. Therefore, delays in the project getting underway could occur while notification of changes and review consultation are taking place. NRI will endeavour to assist on short notice, but there are no guarantees of quick approvals.

Can I make changes to my projects after it is licensed?

It is possible to make changes to your project if you make a statement of “Change in information” as per section 4.2 of the Scientist Act R. S. N. W. T. 1988, c. S-4. Statements should be directed to NRI as soon as possible. NRI will determine, based on the nature of the changes, whether further review consultation is required or if the licence requires amendment.

What happens if a community I have selected to do my field research in decides they do not wish to participate?

If your project application has identified several communities, then your licence will be issued only for those communities willing to participate.

If required, NRI will assist you in identifying an alternative community who may be willing to participate in your research.

What should I do if I decide after licensing that I must cancel my project?

Notify NRI of your project cancellation and NRI will advise reviewing agencies. It is your responsibility to notify any contractors (translators, interpreters, outfitters, participants, etc.), with whom you have made arrangements, of your project's cancellation.